Friday, November 4, 2011

Saturday Sketch Challenge 228


Good Evening Friends!

It's time for another Saturday sketch challenge from your Stamping411 operators.

This week's sketch has a few more elements than our normal clean and simple type sketch, but I really dig it!

It still went together pretty quickly. I love to watercolor with markers, it's one of my favorite things to do. When a customer asks me about my technique the biggest thing I can tell them is that it's about where NOT to put color, as much as where to put color. In this case, the light looks like it's coming up from the snow that Santa is standing, So the light source is bottom right. To color the image I started by drawing "L" then gently blending the color to the right in stages. If I wanted to add more color, I just scribble on a plastic bag and use my aqua painter to pick up the color. I had so much fun! I'm still using up last years batch of watercolor paper. My paper was cut into 4 pieces at 2 1/2" x 1 7/8" then matted with a 2 x 2 5/8" piece of vanilla

The scalloped circle layer underneath my focal point and the oval on top was punched from the second layer, then I just covered it up with my designer paper. and stuck it to the card. So it's like reverse scraps. :D

My base layer measures 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", at it was scored and folded in half at 4 1/4"
Layer 2: 3 3/4" x 5"
Layer 3: 3 5/8 x 4 7/8"

I dig the scalloped dotted grosgrain ribbon in cobber, it's so pretty and it's reversible.. so if you want, you can flip it over for a non polka dot side! I love that!

I hope you have time to play along with the operators this week! We would sure love to see what you come up with using this fun sketch! For more inspiration, check out what the operators are up to!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton

3 comments:

Rose said...

Very cute card, love your Santa, cute layout.

Patti Chesky said...

Hmmmmm.....I wonder what Stampin' Up! surprises Santa has in that bag? tee hee. Selene, this is so adorable! The plaid paper adds a whimsical touch to this card!

Unknown said...

So pretty!!! Love Santa and your coloring is awesome!